Situated in the beautiful countryside on the north side of Bennachie. Our thanks to Stan Bruce for the info and this picture.
In 1724 the castle lies derelict, William Duff of Braco is granted permission to remove stones for his new house at Balvenie. Corgarff Castle 8m W of Strathdon on the A939, 37 NJ 254 086 Tel: 01975 651460 A 16th-century tower house converted for use as a barracks for Hanoverian troops after Culloden.
Its last military use was as a base to control the smuggling of illicit whisky in the early 19th century.
Still complete with star-shaped fortifications; reconstructed whisky still and barrack room.
The stone reads: HERE LYES JOHN STOT ATCHISON JAMES RUSSELL & WILLIAM BROUN AND ONE WHOSE NAME WEE HAVE NOT GOTTEN AND TWO WOMEN WHOSE NAMES ALSO WEE KNOW NOT AND TWO WHO PERISHED COMING DOUNE THE ROCK ONE WHOSE NAME WAS JAMES WATSON THE OTHER NOT KNOWN WHO ALL DIED PRISONERS IN DUNNOTTAR CASTLE ANNO 1685 FOR THEIR ADHERENCE TO THE WORD OF GOD AND SCOTLAND’S COVENANTED WORK OF REFORMATION REV JJ CH J2 VERSE.
Duthie Park was donated to the City of Aberdeen by Elizabeth Crombie Duthie and was officially opened by HRH Princess Beatrice in 27 Sept 1883.
An ancient (Now broken) baptismal font lies at the doorway to the kirk. Tel: 01343 547171 The superb remains of a majestic and beautiful 13th-century cathedral.It was added to in 1869 and in 1903 it was completely restored and extended to the structure we see today.Adjacent to the church is the 'Marischal Aisle' on the wall is a plauqe which is inscribed as follows: “This building first erected in 1582 was restored by the University of Aberdeen in 1913.Winter:closed This souterrain, or underground store-house is basically a hole dug in the ground lined with dry-stone with a roof made with stone slabs. There is thought to have been a castle at Delgatie from around 1050.
Take a torch if you intend to visit, otherwise you won't see anything. Delgatie was once a stronghold of the Comyn Earls of Buchan but was given to Hay, Earl of Erroll, High Constable of Scotland by Robert the Bruce after the ‘Battle of Bannockburn’ in 1314. The castle has two rooms with fine painted ceilings of renaissance fantasy dated 15; strange animals are depicted with human heads.The Observatory was refurbished in 1993 and the Forest of Deer walks and the Observatory are both free to enter.